Friday, July 30, 2010

What Ive Been Waiting For

So when I last posted, I mentioned that some conflict had come up in the workshop, minor but conflict nonetheless, and that the vibe wasn't as good as it used to be. Boy, it's amazing what just a few days can do. Since my last post, the workshop has been better than ever, and the vibe has returned. The climax of all this positive energy came last night at the workshop's performance at Berklee's Cafe 939.

After soundchecking, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my mom and grandparents had come to the concert! It was great to see everyone, and I got to catch up with some of my family for the first time in three weeks. What was also great was that my mom brought a bag of food for our room with all sorts of great stuff in it, and the fact that I didnt have to pay for dinner (a welcome relief!). But much more important was that they all came to support me at this concert, and I couldnt have asked for anything more. Thanks for coming guys!

Our workshop was the second band up, and as I watched the first workshop, I knew that we were gonna have to step it up...these guys were so killin. My favorite tune of theirs was one written by their bass player Troy, a friend of mine, which contained no improv at all, but revolved around a cyclic melodic progression with varying dynamics. Nate, our bassist, and myself were blown away by the piece. Also played was a tune by Mike, my roommate, which was excellent as well.

Once the other workshop finished, it was a quick get on/get off, and we began our set. we played five tunes, three of which I soloed on. From the first beat, I knew that there was gonna be something magical about this concert. Everyone was playing their absolute best, and the vibe that night was joyful and loose, but still with a quiet intensity built in. Personally, I felt the music truly kick into gear on our second tune, which was written by our harmonica player, Roni. I just felt that tune in my being to a point where as I was soloing, I actually felt myself somewhat depart from the present, even though I was still playing. My teachers say that kind of thing doesnt happen very often, so I was truly lucky to experience something like that, and on such a big night as well! On our last tune, "Byrdlike" by Freddie Hubbard, the band just exploded, and the groove was just amazing. I dont want it to seem like im bragging, but last night has taken its place for me as the best show that I've ever played. This is due mainly to the fact that I was able to play with so many other great musicians, there was not a single solo last night that wasnt killin. I really am priviledged to play with so many other great players, and I cant wait till the next rehearsal with these guys!

After the show, I walked around with my mom for a bit, just to catch up, and then I went back to my room with even more food in hand...our dorm is so set right now! The rest of the night was spent trying to teach Chase, our pianist, how to play violin which, as you can imagine, was screechy at first, but sort of cool by the end, Chase is a fast learner.

This is the happiest Ive been in a long time, and I hope this happiness sticks with me for the rest of the program and beyond as well. More to come!

Oh i forgot...Tonight is 1/2 price cheesecake night at Cheesecake factory...oh my, i just might have to check it out.

3 comments:

  1. Gabe, glad you guys knew about the cheesecake factory thing, I saw it on the internet but forgot to mention it to you. The concert last night WAS amazing! You are all so talented, but beyond that, everyone played with connection, joy and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabe, your group was really having fun up there and it connected with the audience. Great job xxoo GP/G/M

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a joy and a privilege to read, Gabe.

    ReplyDelete