Friday, July 23, 2010

A long but great week

Hello all...sorry for not posting sooner, but this is literally the first time I have been able to sit down and write this week...hope you dont mind.

The week really started for me on Tuesday, when my roommate David took me to Slate's bar and grill in Roxbury. As soon as we entered, I noticed two things; One, that the music was well above normal jazz sound levels, and two, that nobody looked thrilled about having a violin come to the stage. This, however, has been a repeated occurrence for me, and when I had finished playing that night, I was sure that I had convinced these people that violin was a valid jazz/funk instrument! As David and I walked back, people leaving yelled their satisfaction out of their cars as they left...what a great night!

Since I mentioned David, I'm going to talk a bit about my two roommates: David and Mike. Seriously, I could not have asked for better people to room with. Dave is a person who is wild about jazz...and is one of the best players of the music who I've ever heard. In workshop, he is such a positive force, and never has a bad thing to say. In his words, "None of us is better than anyone else, we just all play differently". I really do have the privilege to room with such a great guy as David. My other roommate, Mike, is one of the best piano players that I've ever heard, and also one of the nicest people that I've ever met. He's the one who got me into the show "Tim and Eric" (im now hooked), and is always helpful and supportive...he's backing me up on my college audition tomorrow. Whats also great is that both these guys have such great senses of humor...I dont think there's been a day with them where I haven't laughed. I really am lucky to have such great roommates.

Last night, I jammed with my friends Langston, Jack, and JB in front of a crowd, doing versions of "In a Sentimental Mood" and "Lover Man". These guys are all from Cleveland, and are here along with Brian, their bass player (I was filling in that night). These four are in a quartet already back home, and all received scholarships to some this summer. We are all lucky they came...not only are they all killin' players, they are some of the funniest people I've ever met...They even said I could be an honorary member of their quartet...how awesome!!! There has been no shortage to the number of awesome people I've met here...I'll let you know about more of them as time goes on.

A few other tidbits from this week:

I bought two replacement strings for the violin. Cost? $26. GRRRR

I got a care package from home on Wednesday...with cookies!!! Thanks mom :)

As I said before, I am now hooked on "Tim & Eric"...wheres my chippy?

My assignment for this weekend is to write an extra-killer swingin' chart...lets see if I can do it.

Workshop is just getting better and better...the tunes are happenin' and the vibe is great!

and...

I just realized my ID photo makes it look like I have a mullet...ouch.

More to come!

5 comments:

  1. I thought you went with an entire set of replacement strings???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabe, sounds like things are going your way and so they should. xxooG/P

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it looks like a mullet, what makes you so sure it isn't a mullet?

    PS. Sounds like a fantastic time --J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabe, sounds like a rockin time is being had by all. I am glad that you have found people that you get along with and have fun and joke around. Laughter is good for the heart.LOL :0) Mary and Rob

    ReplyDelete