Thursday, July 8, 2010

On the eve of Berklee

My name is Gabe, and I'm a jazz violinist...but you already knew that by the title. I have been playing classical violin for 14 years, jazz/other styles for 6 and have enjoyed the trip thus far, successes and failures alike.

This seemed like a good time to start a blog for two reasons. One: because I was urged to start one during my experience at Interplay jazz camp, and before I continue, I'd like to reflect on that experience. Fred Haas and Sabrina Brown have created a mecca for playing and learning in the town of Woodstock, Vermont, and I was very fortunate to be able to attend. I had originally been turned on to the camp by my high school music teacher, Chris Humphrey, hearing nothing but the best things about the camp. When I arrived, however, the experience eclipsed his adjectives in just how wonderful it really was.

My friend Will and I spent a week playing and studying with pro musicians...faculty and fellow campers alike. My own playing experience culminated in performances of the music of Sun Ra, and my own arrangement of the Steely Dan hit "Peg", on which I played bass and sang lead in front of a ten-piece band (I'm still amazed it worked so well! A huge thanks to all that played and made it work so well.). But perhaps the most spiritually fulfilling aspect of my stay was the Interplay Gospel Choir, headed by Mr. Walter Cunningham. I still count myself extraordinarily lucky to have been able to be around such a life force as this man, and to be able to learn and benefit from his musical prowess and experiences. I will most certainly be returning next year to Interplay.

Two: I am on the eve of what may be the greatest musical challenge I have ever faced: The Summer Jazz Workshop at Berklee's 5-Week Summer Program. Around Twelve musicians worldwide were selected to participate in this workshop...and I'm not sure that they've ever taken a violinist before. So here I go, hopefully set to emerge a much better player than I am now. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Gabe, What a great blog. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to know more Gabe. Catch us up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabe,it's Thursday morning sounds like your tired but very excited and that's good. Your young and now is the only time you can run on empty. P/S Grandma wants to know whats wrong with New Orleans Jazz ??????????????

    ReplyDelete