Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Time to prepare

So on my last post, i mentioned that it was half price cheesecake day at Cheesecake Factory...which was delicious. Just to let you know. In other news...

Since the concert, workshop has been cruising. Our next big event is recording in a Berklee studio this Friday!!!! Very few ensembles get to do this, so this is really something huge to prepare for...we basically get to cut a CD and have some dope music to keep for ourselves/give to friends! This being said, in order for anything to be dope, it needs to be really practiced, so workshop has been even more intense than usual for the past couple of days. Right now, rehearsing tunes/practicing/getting our stuff together is the name of the game in preparation for Friday...hopefully it will turn out great.

Another event from the past while...Andrew Bird came to Berklee, and I saw and met him! This guy is unbelievable, and is really revolutionizing the way people look at and play the violin...he was using dual loop pedals, one for bow, one for plucking, and the bow one was put through a spinning victrola horn, which made the sound morph around the room and sound super cool. While his music was amazing, he, on the other hand, seemed extremely detached and disoriented, and was aloof in his Q&A session with the Berklee audience. But this didnt stop me, and I found out that he would be around at the back door of the performance center, so I went to go see if I could go meet him. Once I got there, there were about twenty people present, and I had to wait as fan girls crowded him for pics and autographs. Then, it was my turn, and I asked him about violin pickups and gear, and told him that I, like him, did violin loops. Instead of seeming happy to meet another of his kind, he kept the disoriented meter up to 11, and semi answered my questions in a drab and tired tone of voice. By the end of the day, I had reached two conclusions about his behavior...either he had not slept for a week and was resentful at Berklee for interrupting his schedule, or he was just hooked on several different substances...I'm not sure which one. But hey, he's a great musician, so that part of it was good.

That was on Monday. Since then, it's been back to the same routine of practicing and playing with people. Even more rehearsals have been added to my schedule now, since Im participating in the instrumental showcase Funk/Fusion ensemble, which is awesome! But yes, just the norm, except for one thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-seDrv1eQo

This has become the new obsession of the workshop...you'll know why once you see the sax player. Dave showed it to me and boy, I cant get it out of my head for a minute. This makes me want a white pair of Raybans for this summer. You got saxrolled!

Oh, and tonight Im going to the singer/songwriter showcase at the BPC...with someone :)

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Gabe,
    That was some video! Where was that concert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Dad,
    Dude, you gotta put up your performance schedule!
    Do it on facebook too!

    ReplyDelete